The Boeing Company
Boeing is the world’s leading aerospace company and the largest manufacturer of commercial jetliners and military aircraft combined. Additionally, Boeing designs and manufactures rotorcraft, electronic and defense systems, missiles, satellites, launch vehicles and advanced information and communication systems.
Headquartered in Chicago, Boeing’s global workforce includes more than 5,000 employees based in eleven Arizonan cities. Approximately 90% of the Arizonan employees are based at Boeing’s Mesa facility, which was responsible for the AH-64D Apache Longbow.
A vital contributor to the Arizona economy for over three decades, Boeing has commissioned The Seidman Institute to produce two economic impact studies.
The first, commissioned in 2007, drew from the following six components to measure Boeing’s total economic impact upon the state of Arizona in 2005:
- Direct economic impact of Boeing’s operations in Arizona;
- Direct effects of Boeing’s purchases from Arizonan suppliers;
- Multiplier effects from payroll;
- Multiplier effects from supplier purchases;
- State and local tax revenue effects; and
- Other effects such as donations and community philanthropy.
This was followed in 2009 by a report measuring the economic impact of the Boeing-led ground-based midcourse defense program within Arizona during 2007.